Pictures of the X2 progress in chronological order

Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Results from the 2008 R/C Speed Challenge

Getting ready for the first test run of the day with the X-2
X-2 on 12s. I ran it both forward and backward at the event. I made the fastest pass of the day of 85 mph on 8s. I then tried running on 12s and I think the speed control hit the low voltage cutoff and didn't deliver power during the 12s run.
X-3 didn't get a chance to run. I spent too much time fixing my transmitter to run the X-3.
This is the X-5. It might look familiar to people who are into speed run cars...
Setting up the X-5 for a run. I broke my Futaba 3PM 2.4 Ghz so I used my 15 year old Futaba 3PB 27 Mhz.
Trying to fix my transmitter after I dropped it. Take a look at the nice "McGyvering" of the antenna with a coat hanger and some duct tape. After this picture was taken I went to test the setup and I only had about 30' of range. I took apart the amplifier and found the PC solder joints were broken. They were too small to fix out in the field. This is the point at the event I had to go with my backup transmitter.
Buttoning up the body on the X-2 for a rear wheel drive run
X-2, X-3, X-5 ready for some speed.
X-2 and the bodies I used for the X-2. I ran the white body for rear wheel drive runs and I used the clear lexan body for front wheel drive runs. My fastest run for the day was 85 mph with the clear body on the X-2.
This is the X-5. It is a highly modified Team Associated TC4 built by Matt Shumaker. He also made the lexan body and the carbon fiber body.

X-2 making a run down the Rockingham track
X-5 making a pass. Fastest run with this car was 79 mph.
All my speeds for the event. Allison was a great help by recording all the runs.

The first car I ran at the event was the x-2. I started off running it rear wheel drive. The X-2 felt like it was on ice. It was difficult to put the power down but I managed to get 61.93 mph on the first run.

Then I ran the X-5 and managed 79 on the first run. Then on the second run of the X-5 I felt slipping in the transmission. I brought it back to the pits and I had stripped the pinion and spur gears. I didn't have a backup set of gears so that car was done for the day.

Then I decided to try the X-2 backwards with the lexan clear body. On the first run I got 85 mph on 8s. Thats when I decided to up the power to 12s. During that run it felt like either the tires were slipping or the speed control hit the low voltage cutoff. It seemed to drop off in power halfway through the run. I coasted through the trap at 64 mph. I brought the X-2 back to the pits and noticed that the tires had some tire wear on the insides of the tires. It looked like the tires were expanding so much that they were hitting the suspension mounts. So it seems as if I had so much power that the tires were spinning and expanding so much that they were wearing themselves out. This is why it felt like it was slowing down during the run on 12s.

Tire wear from rubbing the suspension mounts while on 12s.

Overall I had a great time. I got to meet everyone and see the projects that I have only seen online. I was disappointed with my performance. I wish I had more time to make some runs with the X-3. I knew I could have gotten some great speeds with that car on 12s. The X-2 still has a ton of potential but I need to do more testing with different bodies. The X-5 also has a ton of potential and I look forward to testing that soon.

No comments: